List of Free Apps that might be of some help in coping with grief as suggested by site visitors:
Below are some FREE Apps in the areas of Stress Management, Breathing Exercises, Color Therapy, and Grief Support Network from the Google Play and iPhones App Stores that some of our network members have found useful themselves:
A. Grief Support Network App
by Good from Apps & www.MyGriefAngels.org
A free proximity-based social network connecting & supporting people grieving or who have grieved with the objective of creating a global community of Grief Angels that can be there for each other during one of live's most difficult time.
Subscribers to the app are known as "Grief Angels" that know that the people they may be helping now or in the future may be themselves, their families or friends.
Grief is different for each of us, so the app aimed at including what our development team of volunteers saw as the most commonly used resources and needs; including:
1. Proximity-based Feature - Enables you, if you wish, to see and connect with other "Grief Angels" Grieving, or who have grieved near you.
2. Grief Chat Feature - To Chat with other "Grief Angels" grieving or who have grieved near you.
3.Angels Wall- To posts messages to other "Grief Angels" near or far.
4. Grief Meetup - An opportunity to join the group's Grief Meetup and organize your own local grief meetup event. Whether a Coffee/Tea or walking or biking event, what best fit you.
5. Calm Sounds - If you need them, a selection of Calming sounds to help you in your journey.
6. Grief Health - A list and links to some of the latest research, studies and news on the impact Grief can have on our health.
7. Grief Attacks - A section of shared grief coping stories, and strategies on how some of us are or have coped with our own Grief Attacks.
8. Directory - A Directory of Grief Support Resources and Organizations listed by Type of Loss Experienced where you may be able to find additional support, educational resources, mental health professionals and grief counselors.
9. Grief Motion - For many Motion and keeping active has been key to their Grief Recovery, and in this section we list some of the activities many of our members found helpful in trying to stay in motion. From local community groups, to free online education, to volunteer opportunities to exercise and outdoor activities.
10. Grief Videos - A list of what our development team found to be some of the best Grief Meditation and Grief Education Videos on You Tube.
11. Calm Pixs - A collection of pictures with a calming quality by our group's volunteer photographer.
12. Twitter - The Twitter feed of www.Twitter.com/MyGriefAngels highlighting People Grieving worldwide that are turning their Grief into something positive to help others in their communities locally or worldwide.
13. Grief Books - List of Grief Books, and highlighting the recent Grief Book: "Good From Grief: How to Turn Unimaginable Grief into Something Positive in 288 Uplifting Twitter-Sized Life Stories"
14. GreatNonProfits' 2013 & 2014 Top Rated NonProfit - If you can now or in the future, an opportunity to support the efforts of the app's non-profit developer, the 501(c)(3) Public Charity www.MyGriefAngels.org
15. Registration - A link to the short App Registration form where your short answer to a couple of questions will help us to help you connect with other Grief Angels locally and/or experiencing your type of loss.
iTunes Apple Apps:
B. Online/Chat/Text-based Apps and Services:
For people who do not have or cannot access local grief support counselors or grief support groups - the internet and our mobile phones provide access to new online, text-based, and chat-based grief counseling services from licensed therapists/corporations, OR coaches & trained listeners. Increasingly, a number of companies and organizations have started to provide grief counseling via unlimited texts or emails for a fixed weekly fee. Some of these services are listed below, but please understand that we are not affiliated with, nor endorsed any of these groups. They are provided here strictly for the educational and informational objectives of this course:
- www.betterhelp.com/about/# (online-based) - Approx. $40 for a week of unlimited text-messaging with a licensed therapist .
- www.TalkSpace.com (text-based) - Approx. $25 for a week of unlimited text-messaging with a licensed therapist.
- www.breakthrough.com/ - Self-pay or insurance rates usually listed with each therapist.
- www.7cups.com/ (chat) - Chatting with coaches or trained "listeners" - who may not be a licensed mental health professional or therapist.
- https://joyable.com - Chatting with coaches or trained listeners - who may not be a licensed mental health professional or therapist.
Consumer Alert/Information: In addition to the above services, there are many other new online and mobile services appearing daily, but in all cases, please be aware that some of these sites that offer you "free" trials will then automatically sign you up for a mandatory weekly or monthly billing plan, or try to later upsell you to other much more expensive services - ASK Upfront and keep all related email/chat records on questions about all the costs associated with the service you seek; how do you stop the service from billing you further if you no longer need it, and check the major review sites for verified reviews of others that have used their services.
C. BREATHING EXERCISES APPS:
1. Breathe2Relax App
Breathe2Relax is by The National Center for Telehealth and Technology
Breathe2Relax is a portable stress management tool which provides detailed information on the effects of stress on the body and instructions and practice exercises to help users learn the stress management skill called diaphragmatic breathing
2. Paced Breathing App
Paced Breathing helps you improve your breathing by giving you visual, audio, and haptic (vibrate) breathing cues. This is very useful not only for yoga and meditation, but also for exercise training, like running. Just pick a comfortable starting point and start improving your breathing!
* Adjustable Session Times (inhale, exhale)
* Ramping Times Up or Down
* Visual, Audio, and Haptic Cues
* Custom Breathing Profiles
* Tons of sound choices, like Binaural beats (use with headphones)
* Multiple Color Themes (Pro)
* Breathes Per Minute (BPM) Tracker
3. Universal Breathing - Pranayama Free App
This is the free version of 'Universal Breathing: Pranayama' Stressed? Balance your life and experience a relaxed meditative state to relieve your daily stresses and tensions. Pranayama's simple and intuitive guide to deep breathing features a progressive course based on the principles of yoga, to help you find balance and stress relief. Combining the power of breath with technology, Pranayama is an easy way of improving your health and reducing stress. Using music and animated visuals to guide you to slower deeper breathing, Pranayama by Saagara enhances the way you feel and leaves you with more energy, stamina, and focus.
C. STRESS MANAGEMENT APPS:
1. Self-help Anxiety Management App
By the University of West of England
SAM is a friendly app that offers a range of self-help methods for people who are serious about learning to manage their anxiety.
SAM has been developed by a university team of psychologists, computer scientists and student users. Established methods of self-help have been combined with high standards of usability to provide an engaging, flexible, and practical resource.
The key features of SAM are:
• Clearly laid out menus
• User guidance
• External links
• Self-monitoring of anxiety with graphical display
• 25 self-help options covering: Information about anxiety, Thinking and anxiety, Physical relaxation, Mental relaxation, Health and Anxiety
• Guidance on putting self-help into practice
• Closed social network of SAM users
You know your other important health numbers - your cholesterol levels, your heart rate and blood pressure. Now for the first time, we finally have a number that gauges mental health. By knowing our M3 score and then getting the right treatment, we have more success managing all our numbers, because mental health affects everything.”
Larry Culpepper, MD, MPH
Professor of Family Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
WhatsMyM3 is a primer to help you take control of your mental health. M3 is a 27 question confidential screen that you can complete at WhatsMyM3.com. After you finish the questions you to receive an overview of your potential risk of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder or PTSD based on research published in the Annals of Family Medicine.
The M3 Score, which represents the likelihood that the symptoms disclosed reflect a clinically significant disorder. A University of North Carolina published in the Annals of Family Medicine study of the M3 has shown that among people with no diagnosis, 83% receive an M3 Score below 33, whereas 81% of those with confirmed diagnoses fall above this threshold.
The higher the M3 Score the more likely the patient's responses are clinically significant and the symptoms reported are having a real impact on quality of life. Therefore, the M3 Score could be viewed as a general mental wellness grade, with lower scores indicative of good mental health. For those receiving treatment it provides a target for treatment success.
Language Supported by this App: English & Spanish (More to come in next version…).
3. I Can Be Fearless - Relax, remove fear and Anxiety
By Human Progress
Get relaxed, sleep better and overcome fears and phobias. A free relaxation session is embedded with the download. From the info screen in the app you can get two additional free relaxation sessions.
You have an amazing mind that has the ability to learn much quicker and also un-learn some old inhibiting patterns that you do not need anymore. The application will, with your help, activate that learning state of the mind and then help that part of the mind to a deeper understanding and change. The more you listen, the deeper the effect. Many will discover great results from the beginning.
The application helps in eliminating those thoughts, feelings and actions that stop you from doing what you actually want to. The learning state removes the old habits and patterns embedded in long term memory that result in fear, worries, demotivation, grief, sorrow, loneliness, anger and rejection.
4. Anti-stress Chromotherapy App
Eliminate all your mental stress, play with colors and transform their environments with the fascinating application Super Living Colours. With the revolutionary concept in lighting that enables the automatic exchange and dynamic colors. There are more than 256 shades of colors to highlight your environment and impress your friends. Enjoy your convenience and bring to room or room to create a world of his own! You can leave your day-to-day more relaxing and celebrating their most lively.
5. Soundmindz Mobile Apps:
Anti-Depression, Anti-Anxiety & Other Related Apps for both Android and iPhone
Details and statements contained in this website, MyGriefAngels.com (the Site), are provided solely for informational purposes by My Grief Angels Group. The information provided is not intended to be a complete description of My Grief Angels Group’s products or services
Neither My Grief Angels Group nor any of its affiliates, partners, directors, employees or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this Web site or the information, content, materials or products included on it. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties.
Visitors who use this website and rely on any information do so at their own risk. We aim to keep the information on the site as current, accurate and complete as possible. However, My Grief Angels Group, content authors, any of their affiliates, partners, directors, employees or other representatives make no (and expressly disclaim) representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, with respect to any use of or inability to use the information, content, or materials included on this website. Nor will we be responsible for any damage or loss related to, the timeliness, accuracy, or completeness of the information, services, products, or other material on this site. Under no circumstances will My Grief Angels Group, content authors, any of their affiliates, partners, directors, employees or other representatives be liable for any consequence relating directly or indirectly to any action or inaction you take based on the information, services or other material on this site.
This Site engages its reader by allowing them to submit comments and commentary on a variety of subjects. Your use of this site, whether by reading or participating in the conversation by submitting commentary, is subject to administrative moderation. This means that My Grief Angels Group reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion: to review, edit, and approve comments prior to posting; to stop certain comments from displaying due to their nature or inappropriateness to the topic and/or discussion. Comments are displayed for discussion purposes only. They do not represent the opinions or recommendations of My Grief Angels Group or its employees.
Any text, images, video, or other information (referred to here as “Content”) you submit to My Grief Angels Group, including profile information, blog commentary, or your name and e-mail, you affirm, represent and warrant that you own the right to utilize, license and sub-license the Content and grant My Grief Angels Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, paid-up, royalty-free and irrevocable perpetual license to use, assign, display, distribute, and to reproduce in whole or in part. You also grant the right of My Grief Angels Group to modify the Content in any manner, in whole or part, without any restrictions to you, for the sole intended purpose of the Site and/or services provided. You also grant to each user of the Site a non-exclusive license to access the Content through the Site and to use, reproduce, distribute, and display such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Site and under this Agreement.
For any Content you post that you do not own, you guarantee to us that you have the legal right to post such Content and that it will not violate any law or the rights of any person or entity. You are guaranteeing that you are not posting any Content without permission of the owner of the content.
Off-site URL Linking
Any links or URL addresses to other websites, and videos provided by other websites, not controlled by My Grief Angels Group are provided as a convenience only; My Grief Angels Group does not author, monitor or control these independent sites. Therefore, we do not approve, endorse or certify any information or content of those sites or of their advertisers. My Grief Angels Group is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any external web site.
The trademarks, logos and service marks (“Marks”) displayed on the website are owned by My Grief Angels Group and may not be used without written permission by the My Grief Angels Group.
Copyright © My Grief Angels. All rights reserved.